Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Budget and Financial Analyst
Budget and Financial Analyst
Main Campus - Boston, MA
Located in Boston's historic Fenway area, Simmons has a strong tradition of empowering women and challenging traditional gender roles. Simmons University was one of the first higher education institutions to prepare women to become leaders and has evolved to become a university offering a women's undergraduate program and graduate programs open to all.
You're joining our community at an especially exciting time as one of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. You'll find that people who work here are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace. Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community
Simmons University is seeking a Budget and Financial Analyst (BFA) who will be responsible for a broad range of financial and budgetary functions and analysis, supporting the financial management of the University. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Budget and Revenue Planning (AVP), the BFA will work closely with senior administrators of the University to support all aspects of the University's budget and financial records. Responsibilities also include special projects requiring financial analysis for meeting fiscal management goals and objectives. This role will also serve as liaison to campus partner offices for budget inquiries, processing, and compliance such as Accounts Payable, Controller Office, and Payroll.
The University has numerous administrative and financial initiatives that provide an opportunity for deep financial analysis in support of management's goals. Simmons recently expanded the relationship with its online partner to deliver both graduate and undergraduate learning platforms; the One Simmons initiative involves significant re-investment in facilities including a new Science Center and also the planned construction of a Living and Learning Center consisting of 1,100 residential beds, a dining facility and athletics complex; and there is a need for continued careful management of institutional costs.
The Budget and Financial Analyst will play a key role in supporting the AVP and the Chief Financial Officer with insightful financial analysis, financial projections, and recommended actions. This role is a great opportunity for an individual who is seeking experience working with and supporting senior stakeholders.
- Play key role in the annual budget process preparing packages for the Business Units for budget development, meeting with budget managers, and summarizing budget requests;
- Coordinate and implement approved department budget allocations;
- Collaborate with University business partners to offer advice and technical assistance with cost analysis, fiscal allocation and budget preparation and planning;
- Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy and conformance with procedures and regulations;
- Conduct individual training sessions and/or provide individual consultation regarding unit level budget controls;
- Serve as liaison with Assistant Provost, and budgeting personnel, to manage adherence to budget for academic areas of the University in accordance with the fiscal year budget;
- Assist with processing of budget transfers in accordance with University fiscal policies.
Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Research, and synthesize data; interpolate results from large amounts of data, identify trends in data, draw conclusions, develop solutions, present and implement recommendations, and create follow up analysis.
- Develop budget and forecasting scenarios that focus on the major budget parameters such as enrollment, aid, benefits, and wage increases; long-range planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations; design and run ad hoc reports;
- Assist with the preparation of budget reports and presentations for the senior leadership and the Finance Committee;
- Assist with special projects such as program analysis, compensation trends, benefits scenarios, etc.
- Engage in continuous critical analysis of existing systems and processes; make recommendations to achieve greater efficiencies and improve internal controls. Define requirements, develop and implement complex test cases, perform testing and analyze results.
- Assist with oversight of the user access for security within Workday financials;
- Assist with the management of the insurance programs (risk management) housed within the budget office;
- Attend meetings and represent the Budget Office on behalf of the director and/or in the director's absence;
- Maintain minutes of the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees;
- Other projects & assignments as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Minimum 3-4 years of relative professional experience with budget forecasting, planning and analysis including developing budget to actuals and variance analysis;
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel;
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload;
- Strong customer service skills, capability to interact with diverse groups and/or individuals at all levels within the organization;
- Advanced knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning and financial systems;
- Advanced professional communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, and management;
- Strong project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team;
- Exceptional quantitative and financial analytical skills, especially with financial projections and forecasting;
- Ability to handle confidential matters and interact with tact and diplomacy.
Required Application Materials:
Instructions to Applicants: Please upload all applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the Application Materials box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Budget-and-Financial-Analyst_R08561
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |