Performs clerical and technical support for faculty delivering large audience instruction. Assists instructors with preparing and maintaining course materials, tests, and equipment, and provides live audio visual support for lecture transmission.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Course Assistant (not a faculty position) is part of a career path that is designed specifically to assist instructors so they can concentrate on teaching, with clerical, data management, audio-visual/multimedia, test proctoring, and document control. Career connections from this level would require taking on the Course Assistant-Senior role or coordinating scheduled instructional labs that require specific subject matter competency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Perform general clerical duties to assist instructors and instructional programs, including typing, filing, copying, developing forms, operating instructional equipment, answering phones, and responding to routine questions.
* Opens and prepares the teaching facility and tests the operating status of audio-visual and other instructional equipment, making minor adjustments as required. Uses audio-visual and other equipment to support the instructor.
* Provides ancillary instructional assistance by setting up displays, computers, and special materials for presentations.
* Assists instructors to create and format course-related materials and tests. Hands out and collects materials in person or to a course webpage, issues, proctors, and controls exams.
* Assists instructors with data management, word processing, and reporting of classroom information and statistics such as those depicting attendance and student involvement and performance.
* Assists with the creation, layout and formatting of testing materials. Scores tests and assignments using instructor-generated criteria. Reviews test and assignment data and scores with students and staff as requested by an instructor.
* Schedule meetings, appointments, and special events as they pertain to the instructional needs of faculty and students.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.