Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Network Engineer III
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Network Engineer III
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Network Engineer III supports the satisfactory operation of the WPI network while moving towards Infrastructure as Code using industry automation frameworks and in-house tooling. This is a senior level position where a broad knowledge of network technologies and vendors is expected.
This is an on-site position with hybrid possibilities after the first ninety days.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
Perform Network Engineering support including, but not limited to:
- Provide escalation support and guidance to others Network Engineers in troubleshooting issues and engineering deployments
- Maintain and support network hardware including switches, routers, wireless access points, and other communications hardware
- Assist with maintenance of out-of-band management hardware and battery backup systems
- Support physical plant additions and renovations as they relate to the fiber optic, voice, and data infrastructure
- Provide 24/7 connectivity for users of the data network including adds/moves/changes and wireless connectivity
Provide and Maintain essential Networking Support Services (DNS, DHCP, IPAM, NAC, etc) to the campus by:
- Administer Linux and FreeBSD appliance platforms which provide critical DDI, RADIUS and Policy Management services
- Maintain and support self-service end-user network provisioning services
- Evaluate emergent technologies and code maintenance releases for all Networking Support Services
- Plan and Develop end-users self-service tools for Network Registration and Wireless Guest Pass using various industry standard programming languages
- Coordinate with Systems Operations and ARC/Linux Operations as needed
Manage internal tools and services for Network Services including:
- Administer and extend internal asset, shipping and receiving tools for tracking purchases and cable inventory levels
- Maintain Network Operations Center digital displays for graphs, visualization of alerting and support ticket visibility
- Compose ad-hoc scripts, integrations and reports to support various initiatives as needed
- Maintain a working knowledge of virtualization and cloud technologies to support various projects and systems
Assist the Director of Network Architect with Architecture changes and evolution by:
- Research and Analyze new technologies and how they will impact Network Support Services
- Participate in Internal Network Design Review sessions with the Directors of Network Services and Network Architect
- Develop and Deploy proof-of-concept integrations to better support Network Architecture changes
- Contribute feedback in the planning of the Network Services Roadmap
- Compose and Prepare network documentation standards and reports with the Director of Network Architect'
Manage the Monitoring Platform which pages/alerts ITS Staff of problems prior to user impact including:
- Administer all servers and services which comprise the Monitoring Platform
- Coordinate monitoring needs of the various ITS Departments into a well understood series of tools
- Provide integrations between various systems to enhance the ITS Monitoring platform using programming
- languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, and others
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field in order to provide the necessary understanding of communication technology and software development with 4-5 years professional experience in similar or related work.
- Experience with network hardware, cabling, and network management software including experience in network troubleshooting.
- Experience with Ethernet, wireless Ethernet, and TCP/IP networking.
- Experience with Juniper Networks and Aruba Networks equipment preferable.
- Experience with computer programming and scripting languages. Preferred technologies include PHP, Python, PowerShell, SQL, JSON, and REST based API.
- Experience with Linux systems administration.
- Ability to communicate clearly with all network users.
Pay: $95,000 - $110,000 per year. WPI's benefits package contains great perks and necessitates for today including a generous retirement match, wellness benefits, tuition assistance and many more.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Network-Engineer-III_R0002523
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |