Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
HVAC Controls Technician
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
HVAC Controls Technician
Building Controls & Maintenance
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This position does skilled work at the level of HVAC Controls Technician, in the installation, alternation, maintenance and repair of BMS (Building Management Systems) and EMS (Energy Management Control Systems) and associated equipment. Ensures proper operation, maintenance, reliability, safety, regulatory compliance and efficiency for building management systems and equipment. Coordinates contractors engaged in Building Maintenance and Trades. Assists with the development of long-range plans, budgets and programs for the effective stewardship of campus buildings and facilities.
Provides expert level administration of campus BMS and Energy Management Systems (EMS). Ensures integrity and optimum functionality of BMS and EMS systems. Optimizes building controls with the goal of reliability, efficiency, and energy management. Designs and implements BMS upgrades and expansion. Schedules building controls and coordinates demand response events.
- Manages projects in support of BMS, HVAC, and other building projects. Manages vendor contracts and timelines associated with BMS and campus infrastructure projects.
- Responsible for Emergency, Planned, and Routine maintenance and repair of buildings, equipment, and systems. Provides technical expertise, assists staff in diagnosing systems and equipment malfunctions, and assists staff in problem-solving. Prioritizes, schedules, issues, and assigns work orders, duties, and tasks.
- Develops, implements, and maintains an effective preventive maintenance program, minimizing life-cycle costs, optimizing resource allocation, and maximizing reliability and service.
- Utilizes CMMS system, currently SchoolDude, as a work management tool, utilizing the system for work orders, preventive maintenance, quality assurance, and customer service. Improves the maintenance work process to ensure optimal use of resources.
- Procures and manages materials, tools, equipment and supplies, reviews and approves items ordered by staff, and ensures appropriate supply of stock and spare parts. Works with Procurement Services to maximize savings and utilize best practices. Responsible for monitoring and managing maintenance budgets, assists in establishing cycles for reoccurring operational needs and in preparing annual Maintenance budgets.
- Coordinates safety training and inspections with Environmental Health & Safety office. Ensures all health and safety policies, procedures, and programs are being followed to provide a safe and healthy work environment. Ensures safety and instructional training on the proper use of supplies and equipment, as well as methods and work practices. Reports any unsafe conditions or equipment, or damage/vandalism. Identifies and assesses risks associated with maintenance operations. Maintains continual readiness for inspections by various agencies - fire, health, DEP, EPA, etc.
- Participates as one of several after-hours on-call managers, overseeing all facilities areas, and assigned to a period for 24/7 ability to respond, on a rotating cycle, as well as an on-going need to respond in emergencies, weather-related, and special events. Provides and oversees emergency response as needed and according to departmental protocol. May perform activities of workers supervised in emergency or special circumstances.
- Must be able to perform work assignments from oral instructions, written instructions, sketches, blueprints, and wiring diagrams
- Works in accordance with the standard practices of the mechanical and maintenance trades
- Works in support of the other department trades, and performs other related work as may be required
- May be required to maintain records, stock lists, and department inventory records and stock. Maintains safe workplace and follows necessary safety requirements of the University
- Plans and lays out jobs, including acquisition of materials
- Other duties as assigned
- High School, Trade or Vocational School degree or equivalent required with two years of industrial experience
- Must have BMS expertise with a minimum of 2 years' experience in BMS systems of comparable size and complexity. Experience in programing BMS logic.
- MA sheet metal license preferred but not required
- Must have an understanding of HVAC system design intent and control sequences
- Automated Logic and Schneider Electric experience preferred
- Solid computer skills and building control systems preferred
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/HVAC-Controls-Technician_R0001659
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |