Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Assistant Director, Writing Center
Located in Boston's historic Fenway area, Simmons has a strong tradition of empowering women and challenging traditional gender roles. Simmons University was one of the first higher education institutions to prepare women to become leaders and has evolved to become a university offering a women's undergraduate program and graduate programs open to all.
You're joining our community at an especially exciting time as one of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. You'll find that people who work here are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace.
Simmons University is looking for an Assistant Director to join the Writing Center and Tutoring Center. The Assistant Director will play a critical role in fostering academic excellence and student success at the undergraduate and graduate level. Reporting to the Director, the Assistant Director will assist in managing the day-to-day operations of the two centers and in supervising peer tutors. The Assistant Director will serve as a professional tutor in the Writing Center.
As a University committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, we seek candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with individuals across a broad range of social and personal identities and perspectives.
Education and Programming
- Tutor undergraduate and graduate students in the Writing Center including providing feedback on graduate papers submitted online (approximately 16-20 hours each week);
- May tutor time management and study skills;
- May teach one undergraduate course in the fall and/or spring semester depending on need.
- Hire, train and supervise student tutors in the Tutoring Center;
- Coordinate Tutoring Center tutor requests and faculty referrals;
- Approve tutor payroll for the Tutoring Center;
- Monitor Writing Center online submissions on weekends and assign papers to tutors;
- Maintain and administer the online tutor appointment system, WConline, for both centers;
- Maintain and administer the tutor session logs for both centers;
- Contribute to and enforce policies for tutors and students;
- Assist in assessing both centers' activities through surveys, usage data, and data analysis;
- Ensure the availability of necessary resources and supplies;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Master's degree required, preferably in English, Rhetoric/Composition, or Linguistics;
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in higher education;
- Working knowledge of APA required, knowledge of other citation styles is preferred;
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and time management skills;
- Task oriented and the ability to work independently;
- Ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student body;
- Supervisory experience in an Academic Resource Center setting preferred;
- Previous teaching experience preferred.
Required Application Materials:
- Benefit eligible
- 40 hours per week
- Cover letter (letter of interest)
Instructions to Applicants
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Assistant-Director--Writing-Center_R05861
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |