The mission of UNT’s College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences is to kindle the thirst for truth, justice, and beauty; to foster cultural literacy and scientific investigation; and to cultivate thinking, speaking, and writing abilities characterized by clear expression and logically coherent, evidence-based arguments. We see these as the values, forms of knowledge, and skills most needed by citizens of a democracy and by productive members of the global workforce.
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Advising Office’s mission is to teach, assist, and empower students to define, clarify and achieve academic and personal goals through professional, caring service.
This position is responsible for functioning as a team/project lead for advising students on degree/program requirements and course scheduling. Responsible for implementing advising initiatives and protocols for targeted populations; leading and training advising staff; performing quality checks and reviewing work of advisors; developing training curriculum content for advisors; coordinating retention programs that focus on student academic success, managing and analyzing student academic information data and preparing reports; and making presentations to internal and external groups.
Additional Posting Details
Bachelor’s Degree and four years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, or professional academic advising.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong presentation, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Advanced academic advising expertise.
- Ability to integrate and analyze information and develop reports.
- Ability to use a variety of complex computer applications.
- Ability to effectively manage projects and work teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing with internal and external groups in a variety of settings.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).