About Orange Coast College (OCC)
Orange Coast College's 164-acre campus is located in Costa Mesa just minutes from Southern California's beautiful beaches. Founded in 1947, with classes beginning in 1948, OCC has grown into one of the nation's largest -- and finest -- community colleges, enrolling more than 25,000 students each semester. OCC's has an unwavering commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and rich racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African- American, 23% are Asian, less than 1% Native American, 31% are White, and 6% are multiracial. OCC engages in a variety of professional development opportunities and partnerships so that we can serve disproportionately impacted groups. Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Performs and may assist in leading a small team in connection with preparing, portioning, and packaging food, and with service and clean up at a school site that may also serve as a food production facility for remote sites. Serves as a cashier with a point-of-sale register. Performs advanced food service record keeping such as maintaining student accounts, production records, and end-of-day procedures.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Cafe Specialist is contained in a service-oriented career ladder. A Café Assistant III may serve as a team leader or demonstrate a higher level of specialization such as in catering, monitoring student accounts, supporting a standalone service or special meal program, and other expanded record keeping. Advancement to Café Services Team Leader is based on need and the ability to accept leadership over a larger work team and coordinate cooking of food items of a full-service kitchen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Receives, prepares, assembles, counts, and cleans, slices, cuts, or otherwise portions food items such as, but not limited to beverages: hot/cold, fruits, vegetables, protein items, grains, frozen and cooked items, used for packaging and ingredients. Prepares fruits, vegetables, grains, proteins, and beverages for service.
* Sets up and operates commercial food production and processing machines for use. Cleans, sanitizes, and arranges machine components. Adjusts and tests machines to match processing and operating instructions.
* Prepares and maintains various records and reports on operations and activities including inventory, personnel, sales, meals served, monies collected, requisitions, daily reports, work schedules and production sheets.
* Maintains up-to-date staff records and responds to communications from staff.
* Arranges individually packaged food items along a service line and in remote venues so that students/patrons can make easy selection.
* Serves food and beverage items according to specified quantities and from established menus. Prepares and serves substitute food items to accommodate customer request.
* Records food temperatures at regular intervals to required levels. Inspects and/or tastes prepared foods before serving to determine quality, appearance, and acceptance.
* Serves as a point of sale cashier, accepting money, entering data into the system and performing end-of-day procedures.
* Enters staff/employee information onto databases.
* Operates a hand operated snack and/or ala carte service cart. Arranges and sells food items and accounts for cash, student meal cards, and meal counts.
* Attends a food production station, assembling, sealing, and stacking standardized portions of food items onto transferable food carriers. Maintains pace with acceptable units of production.
* Observes work habits of team members, offering suggestions to improve efficiency and enhance safe work methods.
* Maintains inventory and initiates orders for food items with pre-approved vendors. Monitors and/or receives and stores food and inventory to comply with health and safety requirements.
* May lead a small team engaged in portioning and packaging food items and service.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.