Pharmacist, Per Diem (9249C)
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 24, 2019
University Health Services (UHS) serves the campus by providing comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited primary medical care, counseling and psychological services and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty and staff. The UHS provides on-campus medical and mental health care and coordinates off-campus care through a network of community specialists and hospitals. Departments serving students include general medical, specialty and urgent care clinics, counseling and psychological services, laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy, radiology and health promotion. In addition, the UHS administers a major medical insurance plan, the Student Health Insurance Plan.
The Pharmacy Department at University Health Services provides pharmaceutical services to undergraduate and graduate students of UC Berkeley, other UHS eligible customers. The department also supplies the various clinics at the student health service with pharmaceuticals. In addition, the staff serves as a resource for drug information for students, faculty and staff. The department fills more than 50,000 prescriptions annually.
This position is per diem and may include various shifts from our operating hours of Monday through Friday 8am - 7pm, Saturday (10am-5pm), or Sunday(10am-5pm) during the acedemic year.
Under the general supervision of the Pharmacy Manager the position provides the full range of pharmaceutical services to clients of the University Health Service and its staff. Typical duties include filling prescriptions, inventory control, patient counseling, drug information and education and supervision of pharmacy interns, technicians, clerks and volunteers. Health Service Pharmacists are an integral part of the health care team.
- Accurately enters all information into computer.
- Reviews medication profile and prescription for drug interactions, dose, duplicate therapy and appropriateness of therapy.
- Consults and obtains clarification from prescriber when necessary.
- Accurately selects appropriate drug product, labels, dispenses and collects all appropriate charges.
- Maintains records as required by state and federal laws.
- Effectively communicates with patient the proper instructions for use and storage of drugs, mechanism of action, appropriate precautions, and common side effects meeting all OBRA guidelines.
- When patient presents with symptoms or self-diagnosed problem, assesses severity of problem and recommends appropriate non-prescription product or medical referral.
- In cases of drug ingestion, assesses the severity of the situation to determine whether to recommend immediate therapy or refer patient to medical clinic, nearest ER or poison control.
DRUG INFORMATION AND EDUCATION
- Compares and contrasts drugs and recommends to another health professional a specific drug product based on efficacy, side effects and cost.
- Analyzes drug information needs for medical and nursing staff and provides written and verbal responses accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Participates in writing pharmacy newsletter and educational programs for staff and community.
- Orders medications in economic quantities to assure availability while minimizing overstock.
- Directly supervises technicians and interns in the proper selection, packaging and labeling of meds.
- Precepts pharmacy interns.
- Current license to practice pharmacy in the State of California.
- Graduation from an accredited school of pharmacy.
- Three to five years' work experience in a high volume outpatient, retail/clinic setting.
- Computer proficiency in all standard office software and pharmacy module.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and set priorities in the completion of work assignments.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain professional demeanor during periods of high volume.
Salary & Benefits
- Experience with Birth Control direct dispensing.
The hourly salary of the position is $66.51
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27256&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1