Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
DevOps Engineer - Tufts Technology Services
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts' mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts' campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
What You'll Do
Reporting directly to the Associate Director, Educational Technology Application Development & Support, the Dev Ops Engineer is responsible for the management, planning, and operation of applications within Educational Technology Services (ETS). As part of the Educational Technology Systems and Services Team, the Dev Ops Engineer works on a range of complex projects as a team member or project lead. They are responsible for the installation and maintenance of software and services that enhance teaching, learning, research, and collaboration across the university. In particular, the Dev Ops Engineer will contribute solutions to areas like operations automation, containerization, automated testing, and automated code deployment and promotion.
This position will play a critical role in in the continual improvement of the university's portfolio of applications and platforms used in support of teaching and learning. It will deploy and manage web applications specific to academic disciplines across Tufts' undergraduate and professional school curricula. The Dev Ops Engineer works closely with Software Engineers, creating and enhancing containerized environments and Continuous Integration workflows for the applications they build. They will also assist in transitioning locally hosted applications to cloud infrastructure.
The work designation for this position is remote
What We're Looking For
- Skills and experience typically acquired through a Bachelor's degree in a related field and 3+ years of experience as a system administrator or dev ops engineer.
- Experience deploying/managing web applications (i.e. Java/Tomcat, PHP, Python/Django, Ruby/Rails)
- Experience with at least one of the following: continuous integration (Jenkins), containerization (Docker), configuration management (Ansible, Puppet)
- Familiarity with relational databases (preferably MariaDB/MySQL), backups, replication, etc.
- Understanding of Networking concepts (i.e. VLANs, Firewalls, DNS, Load Balancing, TCP/UDP, NAT)
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Linux Shell/Bash).
- Understanding of authentication (i.e. OAuth, SAML/Shibboleth, HTTP Basic)
- Strong time management skills and the ability to manage multiple, concurrent tasks.
- Flexibility, and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, collaborative environment.
Experience with the following concepts and/or technologies:
- Configuration management/orchestration (Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Understanding of REST APIs/API Integrations, JSON/YAML/XML
- Directories (LDAP, ActiveDirectory)
- Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
- Code Testing (Behavior, Integration, Load, Functional, Unit, etc),
- Virtualization (VMWare)
- Containerization (Docker)
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins, gitlab)
- Bug/Issue Tracking (JIRA, gitlab)
- Logging (Splunk, Syslog)
- Search (Solr, elasticsearch)
- SQL Databases (MariaDB, MySQL, postgresql, Oracle)
- Source Control (git, svn)
- Security Concepts
- Scripting/development experience in Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash
- Cloud Services (AWS, Azure, etc)
- Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
- Release management
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Occasional evening or weekend work, as well as the ability to participate in a 24x7 on call rotation for major incident support activities. Occasional travel between the Boston, Medford, and Grafton campuses to meet with administration, and staff. This position has a work designation of fully remote.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |