Athletic Trainer - Cal Sport Clubs (9455U) 25876
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Enhancing the health and wellness of our Cal community is a big job. Rec Sports is dedicated to providing an ongoing variety of educational, fitness, and wellness opportunities to support a healthy lifestyle. We offer classes and facilities to support our students, faculty, and staff in both their personal growth and physical fitness goals.
The Sport Club program consists of 34 clubs comprised of approximately 1800+ students including students, staff, alumni, and community members.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 11/5/2021
Involves providing Sport Club athletes with injury prevention training, and evaluation, management and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. This position serves as the Athletic Trainer for the Sport Club program within the Department of Recreational Sports. Under the direction of a University Health Services physician and Sport Club Director, this position is responsible for injury prevention, evaluation, management, treatment and rehabilitation of 32 sport club teams.
- Applies professional concepts to provide the full range of prevention and treatment of athletic injuries during practices and competitions. May travel with club teams, as needed.
- Screens and refers injured athletes to other medical services including but not limited to University Health Services or other members of campus multidisciplinary treatment team and other campus programs for student health & wellbeing..
- Administers first-aid to athletes and coordinates athletic training services for all Sport Club events, tournament, which may include evening and weekend hours.
- Provides moderate to complex rehabilitation of athletic injuries through the use of various therapeutic exercise programs. Provides manual therapy skills applicable to orthopedics and sports medicine.
- Maintain athletic training facilities and equipment, ensuring all athletic equipment is fully operational and training rooms are maintained according to standards.
- Reviews injury reports and reports injuries, completing appropriate documentation, and maintenance of medical charts. Maintain current records and files on all medical aspects of the Sport Club Program.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality and handle sensitive matters involving athletic injuries and treatment. Update coaches/staff regularly on the status of injured athletes and the athlete's status for practice or competition.
- Establish and enforces safety procedures. Assist with the management, training and supervision of Sport Club Safety Officers and instruct CPR/FA classes.
- Works in a collaborative manner within team and across campus/industry partners and to organize and prioritize work assignments and develop recommendations.
- Administer concussion management protocols and baseline testing to all high risk Sport Club athletes, program-wide concussion education and oversee post injury assessments. Uphold practice limitations and guidelines to uphold the standard of care for managing concussions and other brain injuries.
- Conduct analysis related to program and operational procedures/needs and developes recommendations for program/service improvements.
- Minimum of 2-4 collegiate Athletic Training experience
- Experience providing coverage for high impact sports such as Ice Hockey, Rugby and Lacrosse practices and competitions
- Has thorough skills associated with providing treatment of athletic injuries.
- Has skills necessary to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Has effective organizational and interpersonal skills needed to work with a diverse client group.
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative manner with others, including athletes, team physicians, faculty, staff and others in the department.
- Is able to maintain discretion and confidentiality in handling sensitive matters involving athletic injuries and treatments.
- Demonstrates thorough ability to organize and prioritize work assignments and complete assignments within required timelines.
- Requires knowledge of electronic/medical records systems.
- Must be computer literate.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the UCOP Concussion Management Protocol, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Abide by OSHA, HIPPA and FERPA guidelines.
- Able to organize and prioritize work assignments and complete assignments within required timelines.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Licenses or certifications:
- Must maintain NATABOC Certifications established by the National Athletic Trainer Association, including on-going continuing education units
- First Aid and CPR certified
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=25876&PostingSeq=1