The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 24, 2019
University Development and Alumni Relations, formerly named University Relations, increases support for and enhances knowledge of UC Berkeley through communications, public outreach, and fundraising. The department is responsible for centralized fundraising and donor engagement, and works to strengthen unit development offices by consulting and partnering with campus fundraisers. University Development and Alumni Relations also handles a range of central activities and services encompassing events, communications, stewardship, prospect development, gift management, database management, and more.
University Development and Alumni Relations encompasses the UC Berkeley Foundation (UCBF), a California nonprofit public benefit corporation established to secure support for the University. The UCBF is also Cal’s primary vehicle for enlisting fundraising volunteers from the private sector. The UCBF is staffed by University Development and Alumni Relations leadership.
Information Technology (IT) provides strategic planning and analysis, systems administration and programming, and a full range of IT related services to the campus and UDAR’s advancement staff of more than 800 clients. IT manages the Cal Advancement Data System (CADS), the campus’s system of record for biographic alumni information and institutional giving, with records on more than one 1.7 million individuals and corporations that are campus donors, prospective donors, students, alumni, faculty, and friends of the University. IT also provides comprehensive network, desktop, and related services to all UDAR staff. IT partners with the campus’s Information Services Technology (IST) unit and outside consultants to deliver network, security, applications, and hosting solutions to UDAR and the campus advancement community.
Application Development, Testing and Implementation:
- Develop, test and implement new interfaces in integration platform (Pitney Bowes Spectrum) and elsewhere as needed.
- Develop, test and implement custom batch and online interfaces and processes to integrate data into CADS system.
- Design computer programs and processes to ensure different DQM (Data Quality Management) measures through data validation, standardization, cleansing and consistency checks.
Production Support to maintain Business Continuity:
- Maintain automated jobs in Unix platform to perform day to day data interaction between multiple systems.
- Monitor data exception, error and rejection and take appropriate action to mitigate such situations.
- Analyze and tune the performance of database queries,data load jobs and batch processes to maintain and improve the overall system performance.
- Work with business analysts, data analysts, data stewards to analyze and implement solutions.
- Work with other IT team members (within UDAR), campus central IT department (IST) and vendors to analyze and implement solutions.
- Strong understanding of Oracle database (12c) and related toolset (command prompt, SQL Developer, PL/SQL Developer etc.)
- Must have experience in writing Stored Procedures, Functions, Packages and Triggers using PL/SQL programming language, and using SQL*LOADER and/or similar data load utilities.
- Must have experience in writing batch scripts with Unix shell scripts on Unix platform.
- Experience in writing scripts in Perl/Python is desired.
- Has familiarity with change management, release management, defect tracking etc.
- Has the skills of analysis and problem solving: demonstrates a good understanding of the context and issues/challenges of the user, has the ability to qualify problems easily and ability to conduct analysis quantitative as well as qualitative.
- Ability to follow agile development principles in order to create technically sound solutions for the business needs.
- Has knowledge of applications programming technologies, tools and protocols.
- Ability to work independently with self initiative, often not requiring direct supervision.
- Has the skills necessary to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
- Must have good interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Prior experience with integration platform Pitney Bowes Spectrum is a plus.
- Familiarity with Salesforce APIs is good to have, but is not mandatory.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.