Writing Center Coordinator
American International University – Kuwait City
for the 2021-2022 Academic year
American International University (AIU) is looking for a dynamic and engaged full-time Writing Center Coordinator to facilitate the delivery of writing support through AIU’s Writing Center. We seek an individual who is passionate about coaching students in writing processes and is dedicated to activating their full communicative potential.
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Success, the Writing Center Coordinator oversees the day-to-day operations of the Writing Center and its campus-wide collaborative activities. Working in concert with the English faculty and instructors, this individual provides support for AIU students at all program levels and is responsible for promoting writing on campus.
Collaborate with the Director of Student Success to:
- Supervise day-to-day operations of the Writing Center
- Develop and implement staff training
- Maintain tutoring schedules for the Writing Center
- Conduct evaluations of professional and peer tutors
- Create instructional and promotional materials
- Oversee content for the Writing Center website and social media
- Work on accreditation committees and other committees as assigned
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Promotion and Outreach
- Act as a liaison between the Writing Center and the faculty to determine needs for high-quality Writing Center programs and services
- Collaborate with English faculty and Library personnel on maintaining resources related to documentation and citation styles
- Promote writing on campus
- Create and facilitate Writing Center workshops, webinars, and academic support outreach events
- Participate in student visit and orientation events
Writing Center Management
- Model and implement best practices for writing and writing processes for tutors and students
- Act as a Center tutor
- Create and maintain Writing Center procedures and Handbook policies that align with AIU’s mission and vision, as well as, the mission and vision of the Student Success Center
- Create and utilize pre-screening surveys to determine session needs
- Create assessment tools, surveys, and/or utilize other strategies to collect feedback and input from students who use the Writing Center
- Maintain and report student session data to the Director of Student Success
- Work collaboratively with Facilities and IT to ensure all resources in the Writing Center are well-maintained
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications for the Writing Center Coordinator
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Skills and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in English, literature, comparative literature, composition, linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing, journalism, education, educational psychology, or instructional psychology
- Master’s degree in any of the above preferred; or, other master’s degrees with an emphasis in adult learning theory
- The equivalent of the above will also be considered.
Preferred qualifications include experience teaching composition or other writing-intensive courses as an instructor and/or experience teaching English-language learners and/or international students.
- Experienced in maintaining open, daily contact with administration, faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to provide consistent, excellent customer service to all within the AIU community.
- Experience with MS Office programs.
- Must be able to work with diverse populations.
- Supervisory and/or leadership experience.
About American International University:
AIU is a new institution of higher education in Kuwait whose first student cohort was admitted in fall 2019. It is a private, co-educational institution offering undergraduate degrees based on the American model of higher education, including a comprehensive general education curriculum. Through its educational and student services programming, the University serves the intellectual, cultural, and personal growth of all members of its community. AIU offers degree programs in Engineering, Architecture, and Design, and Business Administration where the language of instruction is English.
For more information about AIU visit: www.aiu.edu.kw
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please visit the Job Opportunities section of our webpage and submit your resume and cover letter: https://aiu.edu.kw/careers/jobs