Oversees day-to-day operations of the Web Accessibility support and training, Canvas Learning Management Software (LMS) administration and support team. Leads model and master course development in close collaboration with faculty, and represents Coastline to the Online Education Initiative. Creates learning interventions, retreats, and e-Learning opportunities to support the college's operations.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Director, Learning Design is a management position and leads the delivery and online learning design and services using educational technology innovations for faculty and staff in support of student success and e-Learning opportunities. The Director will also be a contributor to the development of processes to ensure the college delivers quality instructional eLearning experiences to our student populations. The Director will provide leadership to the LMS administration and advise faculty on adult learning principles in course design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Provides oversight and project management for staff and faculty working on the development of Model and Master Courses.
* Oversees the division's objectives and prioritizes the organizational development and learning activities.
* Evaluates program effectiveness using assessment tools that measure qualitative and quantitative results.
* Provides leadership, project management, and learning design expertise to influence and drive change initiatives throughout the college that support program goals and objectives.
* Facilitates instructional design reviews to include internal review and involves key stakeholders to ensure solutions meet the program requirements.
* Provides oversight and direction for the Canvas Support Team which consists of all levels and classifications of permanent and short term/temporary staff.
* Represents the college at the Online Educational Initiative and oversees OEI related projects. Works closely and collaboratively with the Faculty OEI Coordinator.
* Identifies resource management needs and escalates to leadership to ensure initiatives are properly vetted through college processes.
* Oversees the college's Web Accessibility processes and provides direction to staff to ensure the college maintains compliance with the local, state and federal regulations. Serves as the Web Accessibility Compliance Officer.
* Manages, monitors, and prepares forecasts for program expenses. Prepares budget proposals and administers approved budgets that include grants and variable items connected to revenue or income.
* Evaluates professional development opportunities and provides trainings and workshops to faculty, staff, and students.
* Lead, advise, mentor, and train faculty and staff on high quality, consistent delivery of learning content that relies on adult learning principles and the quality course design standards set by Academic Senate
* Evaluate performance objectives and metrics to determine effectiveness and quality of instructional design.
* Collaborate with the instructional design team to ensure program deadlines are met while raising the performance standards at the college level.
* Develops e-Learning curriculum, department manuals, and process documentation to support the college's Distance Learning Division.
* Recommends innovative learning design strategies and techniques for students, faculty and staff.
* Assists with planning Professional Development opportunities including writing program design, conducting needs analysis and assessment, and serves as part of the event coordinator team.
* Serves as the liaison for Distance Learning and attends meetings in support e-Learning at the District and college level.
* Assist with the District-wide ERP (Cornerstone) implementation and adoption for e-Learning courses and trainings.
* Collaborates and works closely with the college Faculty Center on training and development opportunities in support of continued e-Learning offerings.
* Proposes and implements standards in support of the broad range of instructional technologies including online learning, interactive video and web instruction, classroom equipment, and related technologies. Analyzes, recommends, and implements emerging instructional technologies for use in a teaching and learning environment.
* Collaborates with the college and District Information Technology Department to identify and deploy learning solutions.
* Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.