Pre-Award Contracts & Grants Analyst (6205U) - 27469 - 1066
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 20, 2019
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Welcome to the BEST Region!
BEST serves the College of Natural Resources, the Division of Biological Sciences, and related ORUs, museums, and field stations in the biological sciences. We are extremely proud of the team we have put together and are working hard to provide faculty, staff, and students in our region with expert advice and reliable support services that foster academic and professional success.
Our aim is to build an administrative support team that is 100% committed to you. Over time, BEST team members are determined to become familiar with the unique issues, terminology, funders, sponsors, vendors, and circumstances in the biological sciences that will enable us to provide service that you'll find responsive, meaningful, and relevant.
Biological Environmental Science & Technology Region (BEST) within the Campus Shared Services (CSS) provides a wide range of reliable, high-quality administrative support services for the University of California, Berkeley in the areas of Research Administration, Business & Financial Services, Human Resources & Academic Personnel Support, and Information Technology (IT).
In support of the UC Berkeley Operating Principles (http://cfo.berkeley.edu/we-are-berkeley-operating-principles
) and the university's mission of teaching, research and public service, BEST operates in a culture which encourages collaboration, innovation, simplification, and accountability. Our staff focuses on service, a commitment that is aligned with the BEST vision. We recognize excellence and strive to provide timely, consistent, and dependable service to those that we serve.
- Oversees the pre-award process from preparing submission through submission to the Sponsored Projects Office.
- Serves as primary faculty liaison, assists PI with the development of contract and grant proposals.
- Prepares proposal budgets and support documents that are required by proposal guidelines. Coordinates proposal submission with Sponsored Projects Office.
- Assists in support of audits as directed by senior staff.
- Participates in training/educational sessions designed to increase knowledge of professional research administration concepts and practices, and CSS, University, and/or funding agency processes and policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of one year of demonstrated experience in research contract and grant management.
- Requires independent judgment and strong organization and communication skills and customer service focus across broad and diverse subject areas.
- Extensive experience in pre-award administration, proposal preparation and submission processes.
- Working knowledge of contracts and grants transactions and applicable financial systems, as well as related policy requirements.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of applicable federal, state, local, sponsor, and institutional regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member, research and resolve problems, meet deadlines, and follow through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Requires thorough understanding of research administration guidelines of Federal and non-Federal sponsors supporting research and educational activities, preferably in a university environment.
- Ability to manage significant volume of transactions.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable in applicable compliance requirements related to use of human or animal subjects in research, financial conflict of interest, biosafety, et cetera.
- Ability to translate technical/scientific concepts into a fundable proposal.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Three years of demonstrated experience in research contract and grant management preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience .
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1066&PostingSeq=1