Under the direction of a Vice President, perform a variety of complex secretarial and administrative assistant duties to relieve the Vice President of a variety of administrative details; plan, coordinate and organize the day-to-day office activities and coordinate communications, correspondence, meetings, public relations and information for the Vice President.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: The Administrative Assistant to the Vice President provides complex administrative assistant services as the direct support to the Vice President and the coordination of the day-to-day operations and special projects of the office of a Vice President. This classification requires thorough knowledge of a specialized administrative wing and College organization, operations, policies and procedures.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Perform a variety of complex secretarial and administrative assistant duties to relieve the Vice President of a variety of administrative details; plan, coordinate and organize office activities for the Vice President; provide technical input to the Vice President concerning administrative time lines and priorities; assure smooth and efficient office operations, and proper and timely completion of projects and activities.
* Serve as primary secretary to the Vice President; coordinate communications, public relations and information for the Vice President; receive, screen and route telephone calls; take, retrieve and relay messages as needed; schedule, coordinate, arrange, prepare for and distribute information concerning appointments, conferences, meetings, special events and other activities.
* Receive visitors, including administrators, staff, faculty and the public; provide information or direction to appropriate staff; evaluate and exercise independent judgment in resolving a variety of complex issues and conflicts; refer difficult issues to the administrator as needed; provide detailed and technical information concerning operations, activities, programs, services, laws, codes, time lines, priorities, processes, regulations, policies and procedures.
* Prepare correspondence independently on a variety of matters; compose and type a variety of materials such as interoffice communications, forms, letters, memos, agendas, reports, newsletters, flyers, applications, notices, bulletins, brochures, publications, official correspondence, notices and proposals; compile, assemble and produce instructional schedules and publications as assigned; review, revise, edit, format and proofread a variety of complex documents and information.
* Coordinate, schedule and attend various meetings; compile, prepare, revise and edit related notices, agenda items, and supporting documents for a variety of other administrative meetings; prepare and send out notices of meetings and other events; collect, compile and evaluate information for meetings; take, transcribe and distribute minutes.
* Research, compile, evaluate and verify a variety of data and information; compute statistical information and summarize data for various special projects and reports; process and evaluate a variety of forms, applications and paperwork; duplicate, assemble, distribute, collect, verify and assure accuracy and completeness of various documents; compile, prepare and assemble a variety of packets and administrative information as needed.
* Perform specialized technical and administrative work requiring independent analysis of complex administrative, academic, business and student programs, services and activities; serve as a liaison and coordinate communications between the Vice President's office and other departments, outside agencies and others regarding division or department activities; assist the Vice President with coordinating personnel, projects and activities.
* Perform a variety of clerical accounting duties as required; calculate, prepare and revise accounting and budgetary data; balance, monitor and update accounts and budgets with income and expenditures; assist in assuring expenditures do not exceed established budget limitations as assigned; identify and resolve discrepancies; detect accounting errors and make corrections.
* Prepare and maintain a variety of detailed and complex lists, records and reports related to meetings, personnel, budgets, projects, programs, facilities, services, financial activity and assigned duties; establish and maintain filing systems; prepare mandated reports for use by administrators, Board members, or State and federal agencies in accordance with established time lines and requirements as assigned.
* Develop, implement and perform special projects and surveys and prepare various forms and reports on behalf of the Vice President; attend to administrative details on special matters; monitor and keep the administrator current concerning progress of office projects and activities; assure office activities comply with established time lines and requirements.
* Input and update a variety of data in an assigned computer system; establish and maintain automated records and files; initiate queries, develop spreadsheets, and generate various computerized lists, reports and documents as required; compile, analyze, format and modify computerized data to meet various administrative needs; assure accuracy of input and output data.
* Coordinate travel and conference arrangements and reservations for the Vice President as needed; maintain and coordinate the Vice President's calendar; coordinate, arrange, reserve and set up facilities, services, supplies and equipment for various meetings and events as needed; notify appropriate individuals of meetings, appointments, events and related information.
* Train and provide work direction and guidance to assigned personnel; assign duties and review work for accuracy and completeness; monitor workflow and adjust activities as needed to complete assignments and projects in a timely manner.
* Provide support and back up to other office staff when necessary.
* Receive, sort and distribute incoming mail, packages and materials as required; compose replies independently as assigned; contact others to request documents as needed; prepare outgoing mail and materials for distribution.
* Maintain appointment, event and activity calendars; receive, review, prepare and process a variety of requests and requisitions.
* Communicate with personnel, various outside agencies, students and the public to exchange information and resolve issues or concerns; contact others to request and verify data, documents and information as needed; assure timely communications between the Vice President's office and College employees.
* Operate a variety of office equipment including a calculator, copier, fax machine, computer and assigned software.
* Develop processes and procedures to enhance efficiency of office programs and operations as directed; assist with implementing program or department plans, policies and procedures; review and update policy manuals with changes; provide related information to College staff; assist with training seminars and workshops as assigned.
* Monitor inventory levels of office and designated supplies; order, receive and maintain appropriate levels of inventory.