The Laboratory Operations Assistant is a junior-level position supporting scientific operations and laboratory facilities in the New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences (CBLS).
The Center is part of UB’s Office of Business and Entrepreneur Partnerships (BEP) that provides incubator space, supports commercialization of UB technologies and connects industry with UB faculty and core facilities for research and development initiatives.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, reliable, efficient, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment. Critical thinking, "customer first" attitude and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team are a must. This position will work with other BEP staff members, UB’s office of procurement, inventory, financial services, sponsored projects, facilities operations, capital planning, environmental health and safety (EH&S) and Roswell Park Cancer Institute to successfully accomplish tasks and resolve issues.
The Laboratory Operations Assistant reports to the Center’s Associate Director for Scientific Operations and Industry Engagement.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with operations and maintenance of lab equipment and facilities.
- Schedule, track and document preventive maintenance of autoclaves, lab washers, dark room developers, millipore water system, centrifuges and other shared instrumentation.
- Respond to facilities/utilities related issues in a timely manner. This position will serve as an emergency contact for lab related issues.
- Manage billing/invoicing for shared instrumentation using Microsoft excel and QuickBooks.
- Coordinate lab occupant orientation and relocation – door signs, placing work orders, coordinating with UB movers to relocate labs, coordinating with EH&S during lab close-outs.
- Help with periodic lab inspections and space survey.
- Assist with Clean room operations, schedule housekeeping, purchase and inventory of clean room supplies.
- Schedule annual lab safety training and ensure EH&S compliance
- Create and implement facilities related SOPs
- Vendor management, negotiate quotes, renewal of equipment service agreements, purchase of equipment.
- Assist with annual inventory tracking of CBLS equipment
- Provide periodic laboratory support at the Biosciences Incubator located in UB’s Clinical and Translational Research Center (weekly on-site visit) and the Baird Park Incubator located in the North Campus (monthly on-site visit)
- Provide back-up reception desk coverage as needed
- Provide administrative support and event setup assistance with special projects as required
Bachelor’s degree in a science discipline with some experience in laboratory or life sciences research setting or related field.
Must be comfortable working in a research environment with autoclaves, dark rooms, scientific instrumentation, chemical/ biological/radioactive substance.
Proficient in Microsoft Office
Must have knowledge of basic laboratory safety protocols.
Familiarity with lab instruments is a plus (example: plate reader, PCR machines, centrifuges etc.)