Posting Closing Date:
February 17, 2019
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS_:_
The work involves the performance of typing and varied duties of a moderately difficult nature. This class differs from that of Clerk Typist by virtue of the more difficult, varied nature of the work performed, and by the independent judgment in the application of established procedures and methods that is exercised by the incumbent. Work is performed under the general or direct supervision of a higher-ranking employee, depending on the nature of the assignment. Supervision may be exercised over one or more clerical assistants. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES_:_
- Types accounting and financial statements, payrolls, statistical tabulations and data, for letters, memoranda, vouchers, reports, requisitions and other material;
- Reviews accounts, reports and other documents for completeness, accuracy and conformity with established procedures;
- Indexes and files documents and correspondence;
- Searches, locates, and records papers and documents;
- Assembles a variety of data from office records for incorporation into various reports;
- Prepares payrolls and maintains time cards;
- Composes and types routine correspondence;
- Assists in proofreading typewritten and printed material;
- Answers telephone, gives routine information to the public and makes appointments for superior;
- Operates an adding machine, calculator or other office machines;
- Collects and maintains records of fees collected by department;
- Operates an alpha-numeric keyboard to transcribe data directly to a computer;
- Maintains records of petty cash fund;
- Utilizes enhanced computer systems and equipment in the completion of assigned clerical tasks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES_:_
Candidates must be able to demonstrate awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusive and diverse learning environment. Good knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; good knowledge of business arithmetic and English; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions; ability to type from clear copy or rough draft at an average rate of speed; clerical aptitude; sound judgment; neatness; tact and courtesy; physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, including or supplemented by a course in typing and one (1) year of office clerical experience.
Completion of a one (1) year or longer post high school secretarial course, which included typing, may be substituted for the required experience. Additional office clerical experience, which included typing, beyond the one-year requirement, may be substituted for high school on a year-for-year basis.
Official transcripts will be required for successful candidates within 30 days of hire.
Our mission to offer quality education includes exposing our students to a diverse range of cultures, experiences and expertise. At SUNY Erie Community College, we value diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Contact Human Resources at (716) 851-1840 with any questions.