Assists students in making informed college major and career choices. Monitors students' satisfactory academic progress to receive timely feedback on those having difficulty succeeding. Works with the student, faculty, and other academic skills specialists to offer resources and interventions that enhance success.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Student Retention Specialist is an entry-level professional within an advising and student services career. On behalf of faculty, Specialists work with students by applying intensive motivational and case management strategies to encourage satisfactory academic performance and engagement into the college community. Specialists work with and other counselors to remain current with transferability of courses, majors, and admissions requirements and up-to-date on student status.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Working with counselors and other student/outreach services staff and faculty, assists students with orientations and acclamation to college life, and assists with developing and monitoring retention plans for ensuring student success.
* Monitors academic reporting systems for early alert to students' performance and academic progress risk, thus identifying those whose behaviors indicate a lack of academic success strategies.
* Analyzes retention and attrition data to identify trends and potential solutions. Notifies counselors and faculty of student issues relating to performance, probation, and potential disqualifications.
* Prepares and implements intervention plans to work with at-risk students by connecting them with support staff and other resources to improve academic standing. Provides timely feedback to students about their academic progress.
* Assists and refers students for academic skills assistance, including tutoring, counseling, and/or career guidance. Assists students to connect with advocate peers and draws upon support services such as counseling, financial aid, and targeted student resources.
* Assists with coordinating and conducting group orientations including connecting students with co-curricular activities, athletics, student leadership, and peer-to-peer relationships. May coordinate services such as on-line workshops.
* Prepares communications such as announcements and newsletters to promote student success programs, events, activities, and initiatives.
* Provides direction to students for navigating academic and non-academic resources on campus, online, and in the community, including but not limited to, Steps to Success and other core services of assessment and education plans.
* Provides advising services with a focus on persistence and completion, career readiness, academic and social integration and transfer options. Trains students in techniques to monitor their own progress toward achieving educational, personal, and career goals.
* Working with Information Technology, marketing and other departments, develops content and maintains portions of the college's Student Retention Program webpage.
* Maintains documentation of student interactions with counselors and faculty. Compiles, data and generates standardized reports and prepares documentation for program files and individual student records.
* Researches successful college/university retention programs to identify policies, practices, procedures, and consequences of academic standing impacting the transfer process. Makes recommendations based on best practices identified through research.
* Assists with and may coordinate special projects that contribute to the college's retention goals.
* Works with faculty and other community college and university counselors to remain current with transferability of courses, majors, and admissions requirements.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.