Computer Operations and Scientific Instrumentation Manager
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Administrative Exempt Positions
Management and operations of all aspects of the Mechanical Engineering Department computer systems including Scientific Instrument Interfacings, Hardware, Software, Planning of Purchases, Maintenance and Systems Administration. Assist faculty with managing and maintaining scientific instruments attached to PCs and workstations that are critical to support the core mission of WPI teaching and research.
- Working with the Executive Director of Research Computing and the Department Head of Mechanical, the employee will oversee all aspects of large, mission-critical computer systems and lab (teaching and research) computers.
- Coordinate the Interfacing of Scientific Instruments to new and existing PCs attached to instruments by repairing PC hardware, troubleshooting operating systems and installing drivers appropriate to the instruments and strategic component upgrades.
- Perform systems administration and programming. Install, verify, document, and maintain PCs and Workstations that are integral to the operation of the department and scientific instruments.
- Manage network of servers, in Atwater Kent and Fuller Labs server rooms.
- Work with members of various IT teams and ME faculty to configure processes for backup and retention of both raw and analyzed data from department supplied computer systems and the scientific instruments to appropriate network storage arrays.
- Plan for hardware and software upgrades and growth including components for faculty and staff.
- Other related duties as required.
- A minimum of a BS in Computer Science or Engineering with significant related experience is required.
- Working knowledge of PC hardware environments; Windows and Apple OS experience is a must.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships with faculty, students and staff.
- Experience working in scientific laboratory environments is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in UNIX/Linux OS/MAC/Virtual machine systems is appreciated.
- Possess an eagerness to complete increasingly complex assignments.
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Computer-Operations-and-Scientific-Instrumentation-Manager_R0000032