DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The work involves recruitment and coaching activities in a community college. Under the general supervision of the Director of Athletics, the incumbent is involved in special projects and assignments involving student recruitment. The work also involves coaching, on a part-time basis, one or more athletic sports teams representing a community college in inter-collegiate varsity competition. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Coaches and develops improvement in performance of student athletics in inter-collegiate varsity sports;
- Submits a monthly recruitment activities report to the Director of Athletics;
- Coordinates recruitment activities with the Director of Admissions/Call Center;
- Follows up with potential students by telephone and/or mail;
- Develops the mental and physical abilities of the players to perform to the maximum of their ability;
- Recruits players to attend the College and participate in Varsity sports;
- Counsels student players in good sportsmanship, good study habits, and the importance of maintaining good grades in their academic area;
- Works with the Director of Athletics and other staff members in scheduling games, practices, and logistics of the athletic program;
- Participates in fundraising, publicity programs, and other activities in support of varsity athletics;
- Participates in activities relating to expenditures and budgeting for the athletic program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Candidates must be able to demonstrate awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusive and diverse learning environment. Good knowledge of recruitment procedures and practices at a community college; good knowledge of admissions, financial aid, and registration procedures; good knowledge of counseling practices and procedures; ability to work effectively with staff and students; thorough knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures of one or more collegiate sports; good knowledge of community college academics and administration policies and procedures; ability to coach one or more collegiate sports in an effective manner; ability to motivate student athletes to perform both well in sports and in academic studies; sound professional judgment; initiative; resourcefulness, tact; physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Graduation from an accredited registered (2) two-year college with an Associate degree and (3) three years of experience coaching or playing a varsity level collegiate sport.
Official transcripts will be required for successful candidates within 30 days of hire.