Admissions Counselor for Diversity & Outreach Initiatives
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This individual will work with the admissions team to further WPI's efforts to attract and
enroll the most qualified undergraduate students. Develop and implement strategies to
convey key institutional messages to prospective students and parents on and off
campus. Cultivate professional relationships with guidance counselors and key
- Cultivate partnerships with Community-based organizations in support of the recruitment of first generation, female students and students from under-represented backgrounds.
- Recruit, train and manage student staff in support of on campus programming to support the recruitment and enrollment of first generation, female students and students from under-represented backgrounds.
- Assist in the development of a strategic recruitment plan for targeted populations (first generation, female student and students from under-represented backgrounds).
- Assist in the planning, execution and management of outreach events for underrepresented and female populations throughout the recruitment process.
- Liaise with the Office of Multicultural Affairs in support of underrepresented students.
- Conduct Admissions presentations and interviews on- and off-campus.
- Develop strategic recruitment plan for geographic territory in concert with university and departmental objectives. Plan travel and implement recruitment activities for assigned high schools and territories including travel (5 to 6 weeks in the fall and 2 to 3 weeks in the spring) to support student recruitment.
- Make Admissions decisions based on a holistic review of application credentials.
- Advise prospective WPI students, parents and guidance counselors.
- Participate in shared decision-making regarding annual admissions planning.
- Represent WPI on and off campus at professional conferences and related events.
- Cultivate relationships with guidance counselors, community agencies, parents, students (current and prospective), WPI faculty and alumni.
- Support large scale events within the Undergraduate Enrollment Services subdivision such as Open Houses and Touch Tomorrow.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- One or more years admissions experience as a student or professional desired.
- Willingness to travel and availability for night and weekend work.
- Valid driver's license is required for recruitment travel.
- This individual needs to be a self-starter who is able to work independently, yet also as part of a successful team.
- Must be able to manage multiple ongoing projects and responsibilities.
- The candidate must possess excellent organizational and communication skills, strong analytical abilities, a high energy level, and maturity.
- Bilingual skills desirable.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Admissions-Counselor-for-Diversity---Outreach-Initiatives_R0000307
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.