The Maintenance Assistant is expected to perform routine repetitive semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks in one or in a combination of trades. While this position will generally operate under a journey level employee, incumbents may perform journey level activities under supervision or after having received detailed instructions. Knowledge and ability to use hand and shop tools associated with various trades is necessary.
General duties for this position require the ability to assist in performing routine repair/maintenance, as well as preventative maintenance, in the areas of:
Campus Living supports the University at Buffalo’s mission by providing residential environments that assist students in being academically and personally successful.
Departmental Operating Needs
Successful candidates will need:
- Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures as well as knowledge of applicable codes and regulations are important.
- When necessary the incumbent should be able to read plans, specifications, manuals and blueprints.
- Candidates will be expected to explain and demonstrate their skills and competency for this position; they must be able to communicate well with others and possess and demonstrate positive customer service skills
- Candidates must be able to understand and follow directions/instructions.
- Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
- This position requires traveling within the campus as well as between campuses and off campus. A valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS is preferred or the candidate must demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job.
Two years of experience in maintenance or mechanic work under the supervision of a skill tradesperson or the completion of an appropriate two year technical school course.
Candidates must be able to perform moderate to heavy physical labor. This position requires traveling within the campus, between the campuses, and off campus, therefore, the candidate must be able to demonstrate their ability to meet this requirement.
Based on the transportation needs of the position, a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS is preferred.
To be a successful candidate, you must be able to communicate well with others and possess and demonstrate positive customer service skills. You must be able to understand and follow directions/instructions. Since the activities of other employees depend on the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
Routine tasks require moderate and/or heavy physical effort. The ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, twist, lift, reach overhead and work at elevated heights using ladders and other equipment for extended periods of time is required.
Salary Range $36,051
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Overtime, work on holidays and non-scheduled days may be required.
Campus As Assigned
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants may use the optional additional document to attach other documents that they feel will enhance their candidacy for this position.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Contact’s Name Paula Clark
Contact’s Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact’s Phone 716-645-3006