Writing Center: Tutoring Specialist - Short-term Temporary Hourly assignment, as needed
Kern Community College District
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Short-term Temporary Hourly
32 hours per week, average; 38 weeks per year average
$15.60 per hour
This position is eligible for ACA benefits.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, aid students in the learning process, including limited English speaking and Basic Skills students. Provide tutoring in the writing process in all disciplines.
- Writing Center tutors work one-on-one with students on every aspect of the writing process.
- Assist an individual or small group of students in the writing process in a specific subject area, including providing tutoring to limited or non-English speaking and Basic Skills students; monitor students to assure understanding of material being presented; answer student questions.
- Assist students with learning writing as a process in all disciplines; instruct students in proper sentence structure and English grammar.
- Tutors provide writing assistance for a broad range of academic activities: assigned papers; creative work; laboratory reports, and research papers
- Tutors provide support service at all levels of writing competency including (but not limited to): topic organization, outlining, grammar, punctuation, and style.
- Instruct students in writing formatting, including but not limited to APA, MLA, and AAA.
- Maintain related records and attendance tracking.
- Attend various meetings and professional development related to assigned activities.
- Represent the Writing Center in classroom communications.
- Work with Center student workers.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
This position site assignment varies based upon needs of campus.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in English or closely related field and
1 year previous tutoring experience
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Principles of rhetoric and composition
- Basic knowledge of subjects taught at the college
- Needs of Basic Skills and English Language Learners
- Tutoring techniques and applications
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy
- Correct oral and written use of English
English essay organization
- Basic instructional techniques
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/10582
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- List of six (6) professional references Listed on application form
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.