Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Marketing and Communications, the Director of Media Relations will design and implement an aggressive proactive media relations program that supports Lehman College’s strategic objectives. The Director will also manage a range of other communications programs and serve as college spokesperson as needed.
Additional duties include:
- Develops an overall media outreach plan for the College to promote key initiatives, special events, and fundraising news.
- Works with the Provost’s Office, deans, and departmental chairs to develop newsworthy items for media promotion and to establish a list of experts for media pitches in response to breaking news.
- Serves as media advisor to college administrative and faculty leadership. Provides media training and briefings to college personnel as needed.
- Identifies and cultivates representatives from top-tier and local outlets; creates media lists for a variety of subject areas.
- Researches, writes and proofreads news releases, media advisories, op-eds, statements, blog posts and other communications vehicles as needed. Writes statements and talking points.
- Works with college’s web team to determine content for home page and other key pages on Lehman’s website.
- Collaborates with social media manager to ensure coordinated messaging and outreach.
- Supervises Communications Manager.
- Serves as liaison to CUNY media relations team.
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years’ related experience required; bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, public relations, journalism or related subject preferred; eight years of progressive experience in media relations
- Experience working for an education organization and familiarity with education reporters
- Experience in working with national, local and trade media, and success in garnering coverage from top-tier outlets
- Experience managing media relations on sensitive issues and/or crisis situations
- Knowledge of AP style
- Experience preparing executives for media interviews
- Strong leadership skills, ability to take initiative, exercise sound judgment, and make sound decisions in a fast-paced environment; required to work independently, multi-task and manage multiple projects and situations simultaneously and with diplomacy
- Excellent verbal, written, listening, editing and presentation skills with proven success placing stories in top-tier outlets
The ability to communicate in writing is an important job-related competency. All candidates will draft a writing sample as part of the interview process to demonstrate their ability to write memos and letters that are grammatically correct and express information clearly.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Directs College communications and public relations efforts.
- Establishes goals consistent with the College mission and works collaboratively with senior management to develop short- and long-range plans to further College outreach
- Develops and maintains comprehensive press, public relations, and internal communications strategies
- Represents the College to a variety of external and community organizations, establishing good working relationships and two-way communications on areas of common interest
- Oversees College web site and other major communications vehicles, such as publications
- Plans, organizes, and implements special events including conferences, receptions, and informational programs
- Develops and implements campaigns to foster awareness of College activities and initiatives
- Researches and develops speeches and other critical communications by senior management
- Maintains media relationships and serves as spokesperson representing the College
- Identifies and leverages opportunities to promote the visibility and reputation of the College.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Communications and College Relations Director
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
For technical issues:
Contact the service desk by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can, provide screenshots. Please do not provide your User Account password; it is not needed to investigate any issue.
For other questions:
For questions about the content of any job posting, please contact the Human Resources department: Recruiting@lehman.cuny.edu.
August 13, 2018 (revised)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.