The University at Buffalo Libraries seek an innovative, collaborative and service-oriented Social Sciences Librarian to provide research and teaching support to faculty, students and researchers in the social sciences and related interdisciplinary programs. You will join a collegial group of dedicated librarians on the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences Team whose work supports the academic and creative achievements of UB’s students, faculty, staff, and community members.
As the Social Sciences Librarian, you will:
- Provide research support to faculty as the primary liaison to select departments in the social sciences;
- Develop collaborative partnerships with faculty to support their teaching needs by integrating library resources and research and information literacy competencies into departmental courses, curricula and programs;
- Actively engage in sustained outreach to students and faculty in the social sciences to ensure their awareness of Libraries’ resources and services;
- Provide additional support for research by offering training to faculty and students in citation management software;
- Design, present and assess instruction in a variety of formats to meet the needs of diverse user groups;
- Provide research consultation services in-person, through individual appointments and via electronic communication (chat, email, text);
- Communicate current issues and trends in scholarly communication and open access publishing to faculty and staff in relevant disciplines;
- Assist in the selection and assessment of print and digital resources in selected subject areas in the social sciences to support research and teaching;
- Work collaboratively with library and non-library colleagues to advance the research enterprise;
- Advantageously deploy services and implement initiatives that advance the mission of the social science and library communities.
We are looking for skilled, passionate individuals to join us in making the University Libraries a center of energy and innovation on campus. You can expect to learn continuously in a rapidly changing academic landscape. We will help you be successful by providing mentorship and professional development opportunities. This is a two-year, renewable faculty appointment with rank leading to tenure in an academic research-oriented environment with expectations for research, publication and service. The Social Sciences Librarian will report to the Head of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Team and work with librarians and staff across the University Libraries.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.