University of Idaho
College of Natural Resources
$44,580 or higher depending on education and experience
This is an entry-level, early career position providing assistance to the University of Idaho Experimental Forest (UIEF) Director in support of planned forest management activities.
- B.S. degree in Forestry, Forest Operations or related natural resources field.
- Experience with field forestry, forestry tools/equipment, and activities such as forest inventory, implementation of silvicultural treatments or timber sale preparation.
- Position further requires being on call during periods of high fire danger and active periods of prescribed fire use.
- 1+ years professional or combined seasonal experience or advanced education in forestry or related field.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with field research, such as installing and conducting field experiments, conducting analysis, and preparing reports, publications and proposals.
- Ability to work patiently, positively and respectfully with others, including providing support and working collaboratively with forestry student staff who serve in leadership roles on the UIEF.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to work with close supervision at times including communication of weekly or daily duties assigned by director.
- Experience with modern computer business software such as Microsoft Office and GIS software, such as ArcGIS.
- Willingness to be on-call for work at irregular hours and on weekends and maintain regular radio contact with director and other staff during work hours.
- Commitment to a strong culture of safety.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Work is in steep and rugged terrain in a forested environment year-round, including during adverse weather conditions including rain, snow, and periods of heavy smoke associated with prescribed/wildland fire.
- Work is primarily located in Harvard and Princeton, Idaho.
- Applicant must be willing to maintain regular two-way radio contact with Director and other staff.
- Applicant must be willing to work at irregular hours and on weekends at times as directed.
- Completion, or ability to complete within 3 months of start date, NWCGS130/190 Wildland Firefighter (FFT2).
- Applicant must complete Work Capacity Test (WCT) at the Arduous level annually, which requires carrying a 45-pound pack for 3 miles in 45 minutes.
- Applicant must be willing to work patiently and respectfully with a wide range of personalities, including working collaboratively and supporting student staff in leadership roles that change seasonally as part of regular UIEF operations.
- Evening and weekend work will occur during periods of high activity. During the academic year (late August through May), availability for work on weekends is required for extended periods.
Open Until Filled:
Position is open until filled. First consideration date will be given to those who apply by April 15, 2019
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.