Support Through Advisement, Registration, Transition
Posting Closing Date:
February 11, 2019
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
This work involves assisting in the coordination, planning, and development of the START program. The incumbent, under the direction of Enrollment Management leadership, coordinates the activities associated with the operation of new student orientation activities at SUNY Erie. The coordinator oversees a small staff of college and student employees.
Typical Work Activities:
- Leads in the coordination, planning and development of orientation activities for new students.
- Assists in the collection, analysis and evaluation of data and surveys.
- Schedules computer lab and classroom facilities to support orientation activities.
- Coordinates communicative plan to new students.
- Leads all orientation committees in meeting goals and objectives.
- Serves as the point of contact for students, faculty, and staff regarding START efforts.
- Works closely with faculty, staff, and administrators to meet orientation, enrollment management, and retention goals. Schedules presenters for orientation presentations.
- Collaborates with the academic Deans and Director of Academic Advisement to coordinate all course registration activities for new students.
- Develops all action plans related to orientation programming.
- Assists in reviewing and analyzing predictive evaluation data, as well as current trends in the continued improvement of student persistence and retention.
- Performs research and assessment ensuring that the college’s student-onboarding activities meet or exceed establish best practices.
- Serves on college-wide committees to advance the awareness of START.
- Maintains department budget
- Assists in the development, implementation, and management of an online orientation.
- Trains staff/or students in the use of the online orientation.
- Ensures students are eligible to enroll in orientation (online, in person, or Distance Learning)
- Performs additional duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Candidates must be able to demonstrate awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusive and diverse learning environment. Thorough knowledge of general educational methods and theory; thorough knowledge of curriculum development; thorough knowledge of vocational training needs of business and industry; skill in educational coordination and management; ability to motivate and direct the work of others; ability to get along well with others; sound professional judgment; initiative and resourcefulness; physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends is required.
Graduation from a regionally accredited four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree
*and three (3) years** of higher education/college student personnel experience. Preferred education is a Master’s degree with preferred experience in a demonstrated lead role in the planning and or execution of an orientation program or other related large-scale student services events on a college campus.
Official transcripts will be required for successful candidates within 30 days of hire.
Our mission to offer quality education includes exposing our students to a diverse range of cultures, experiences and expertise. At Erie Community College, we value diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Contact Human Resources at (716) 270-1840 with any questions.