Reporting to the Dean of Enrollment Services, the counselor provides educational, career, and personal counseling to current and prospective OCC financial aid students. The counselor provides guidance to financial aid students related to career planning, Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), appeal process, degree, transfer and certificate planning and other personal growth courses as needed. Hours and days may vary including during intercession and summer session; duty days may vary depending on the needs of the program, and some evening hours might be required.
* Provide educational, career, and personal counseling to continuing and prospective financial aid students.
* Assist students in making decisions relative to career choice and educational planning, including appropriate testing, maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), career counseling, and transfer to a university.
* Provide general orientation, program advisement and follow-up counseling for prospective, new and continuing financial aid students. Provide guidance and educational planning to students on academic probation or disqualification to increase retention. Assist with financial aid appeal process as related to academic planning.
* Develop effective working relationships with faculty members in instructional areas and perform liaison activities as required.
* Assist in the preparation of counseling-related publications and in the presentation of financial aid workshops for students, faculty and other staff regarding financial aid Title IV SAP regulations and appeals.
* Provide group orientation and counseling as required.
* Assist students seeking referral to appropriate community agencies or services in response to educational, career, or personal concerns.
* Participate in professional growth activities.
* Provide instruction in student success, financial literacy, career planning and/or other personal growth courses.
* Assist in the development and implementation of special programs focusing on access and retention.
* Assume other counseling and guidance responsibilities as assigned.
* Assignment may include day and evening hours.
* Provide counseling and guidance (using appropriate technology) to prospective and continuing financial aid.
* Review potential incoming coursework and provide guidance regarding educational path and remaining coursework to complete a program based on the completed coursework.
* Participate in outreach and recruitment activities as assigned.