Career Resource Center
FFECC NTTP FT
Posting Closing Date:
February 22, 2019
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS_:_
The work involves performing para-professional tasks assisting the faculty of a Community College. Mentoring involves passing information or knowledge from the mentor to the students with the goal to help students act independently while pursuing their academic and work-related goals. The incumbent reports to a FFECC or AAECC member. Mentors responsibility includes planning, training, problem solving, demonstrating, and collaboration. Mentors support students and faculty in advisement and retention activities. Mentors respond to requests for assisting students in an academic environment with guidance on a variety of issues. Mentors provide strategies to improve performance in college in academic areas. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES – CAREER SERVICES MENTOR:
- Provide career and job readiness services to prospective students, current students, and alumni via workshops, classroom presentations, events, phone, email and in-person appointments;
- Administer and interpret career assessments, provide career counseling and advisement;
- Provide job search assistance including but not limited to resumes, cover letters and interview skills;
- Plan and execute job fairs and other career services-related events;
- Work with employers to learn about their industries, attend employer events, and assist them with posting and advertising their jobs to SUNY Erie students and alumni;
- Collect and report data including Survey of Graduates, employer surveys, student attendance and benchmark data under supervisor’s direction;
- Plan and execute student-alumni mentoring program and other student-facing career related initiatives;
- Represent department at orientation, recruitment events, and employer events, including off-campus events and meetings;
- Utilize technology including but not limited to career services management tools, strategic planning software, career assessments, Microsoft Outlook, PP, Excel, Starfish;
- Participate in on-going, self-directed and assigned professional development activities;
- Maintain memberships in career-services related organizations, as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES_:_
Superior knowledge and performance in academic subjects to be mentored; ability to establish rapport with faculty, staff and students, maintain mutual respect and trust needed for promoting learning and professional growth; ability to mentor in the present and focus on moving the student towards their strategic development; physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college in Social Science, Counseling, Human Services, Career Education or/and a related field and four (4) years of vocational or educational experience.
The preferred candidate will have 2-3 year of experience working in a college or university Career Center.
Official transcripts will be required for successful candidates within 30 days of hire.*
Our mission to offer quality education includes exposing our students to a diverse range of cultures, experiences and expertise. At Erie Community College, we value diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Contact Human Resources at (716) 270-1840 with any questions.