Provides leadership and direction over campus and District security, intervention, coordination of law enforcement, and related public information duties that provide a safe environment for students, staff, and the public. Protects students and property by carrying out proactive programs and public safety processes. Provides leadership in comprehensive Emergency Management Plan
Distinguishing Career Features:
This is a management position, responsible for optimizing service of the Campus Safety and Emergency Management Departments. Advancement to this position would require compliance with the qualifications of the position and be made through promotion from a supervisory position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates activities of campus security staff, actively participating service delivery ranging from public safety initiatives, command of incidents, Emergency Operations and assistance for all who are on campus/college properties.
* Researches, reviews, recommendations, and implements protocols for traffic flow and parking regulations. Designs and develops schedules and surveillance routines for patrol of the campuses and related facilities.
* Establishes scope and efficiency of services, and continually reviews and evaluates staffing levels to accommodate daily routines and scheduled events.
* Directs, facilitates, and participates in developing the department's annual work plans. Assigns, monitors, and reviews work activities, projects, and programs to support annual work plans.
* Completes and submits Annual Security Report, participates as an active member of the campus Behavioral Intervention Team, conducts Title IX investigations when assigned, coordinates with District Chief of Police on Lexipol Protocol Manual, Report Exec RMS and other district-wide public safety initiatives.
* Ensures campus Public Safety officers and staff conduct themselves in a professional, respectful manner, exercising their authority with appropriate discretion and treating all staff, students, and visitors in a fair and equitable manner.
* Develops and monitors methods that ensure staff, students, and visitors have opportunity to openly communicate their thoughts and concerns. Develops internal performance management and investigation procedures that hold employees accountable for actions.
* Oversees the development and administration of the department budget. Identifies funding opportunities and revenue sources to meet growing demands for services. Forecasts additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies. Authorizes purchases and monitor expenditures to ensure proper disbursement of funds.
* Oversees research and identification of criminal activity trends in the community that may affect the campuses. Works with other agencies, community resources, and deterrent methods to increase effectiveness of law enforcement efforts. Responsible for campus public safety reporting requirements.
* Serves as a member of, and facilitates discussions for committees such as, but not limited to, safety, security, disaster/emergency response, and public safety reporting compliance..
* Participates in civic, professional, community groups regarding the activities and programs of the department to promote public confidence in the department's role in supporting education and safety on campus.
* Directs the parking, traffic management, carpool, and environmental quality programs for the College.
* Monitors and accounts for Campus Public Safety-related revenues from parking, fingerprinting, and other services.
* Directs and oversees parking meters/fees, parking citations, and Parking Citation collection efforts.
* Directs emergency operations for incidents.
* Oversees the campus security camera system, including coordinating replacement/repairs of existing and new security camera system.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.