Under general administrative direction of the Director, Human Resources (Orange Coast College), the Manager, Employee/Employer Relations serves as the initial contact for employees and managers, and with questions and/or concerns regarding employee/employer relations issues. Responsible for a wide variety of complex administrative functions and support to the Director, Human Resources (Orange Coast College); performs a variety of related duties as needed to address business needs as they relate to HR and Employee Relations.
Collaboration Demonstrates fundamental cross-functional collaboration skills with the ability to guide or direct others through action or influence.
Customer Service - Anticipates, monitors, and meets the needs of internal and external customers and responds to them in an appropriate manner. Continually seeks to provide the highest quality service.
Organizational Knowledge Understands issues impacting the organization. Maintains a working knowledge of District policies and procedures, Collective Bargaining Unit contract language, interpretation, and application.
Communication - Communicates well, both verbally and in writing. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to diverse perspectives. Ability to communicate effective recommendations in accordance to District policies and procedures. Exhibits strong consultation, analytical and communication skills.
Critical Thinking Provides constructive feedback to all parties involved in an employee/employer relations investigation. Maintains measureable statistics and analyzes employee/employer relations outcomes to communicate successes and areas of growth to better the employer/employee relationship.
Innovative - Demonstrates a commitment to continuous improvement, including the understanding and application of technology. Skilled in the use of computers, adapts to new technology and keeps abreast of changes; learns new programs quickly, and uses systems and outcomes approach to improve productivity.
Ethical/Integrity - Displays business acumen, sensitivity, ethics and integrity in all actions related to employee/employer relations and Human Resources.
Adaptable/Flexible- Creates change (relentlessly innovates and improves), adapts to change, is open to new ideas, handles pressure, and adjusts to meet changing needs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Provides advice and guidance to supervisors and employees regarding the application of District Board policies, administrative procedures and contracts.
* Intakes and responds to employee complaints; conducts first level, informal investigative interviews; prepares comprehensive written documentation and summary reports related to the investigative process.
* Assists with a full range of employee/employer relations issues such as interpersonal conflict resolution, layoffs, discipline, grievances, Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) hearings, arbitration hearings, performance evaluations, employee access to personnel files, probationary releases, fitness for duty evaluations, accommodations and investigations.
* Independently coordinates interviews, hearings, timelines, logistics, and correspondence related to assigned cases; assists in the preparation of disciplinary materials.
* Manages communication efforts for disciplinary actions and union grievances.
* Manages departmental tracking system for EEO complaints, Title IX complaints, TitleV/DFEH/EEOC discrimination complaints, disciplinary actions, employee/employer relations issues, investigations and union grievances.
* Assists with escalated grievances including, corresponding with union officials, scheduling hearings and communicating findings and resolutions.
* Responds to inquiries related to union contracts, including directing to the appropriate person for response and ensuring follow-up.
* Serves a liaison to college Directors of Human Resources for grievances, disciplinary actions and investigations, conducts research and information gathering for grievances, disciplinary actions and investigations.
* Assists with the development of forms, documents, and processes used for employee/employer relations, performance management and development.
* Oversee and track the annual and probationary performance evaluation process, the temporary to permanent status reviews and notifications, and performance improvement plan progress.
* Assists in identifying significant and borderline performance problems that impact employee/employer relations issues and provide recommendations for resolution.
* Compiles performance evaluation reports requiring extensive research to track the correct information to enable accurate reporting for appraisal due dates and performance plans.
* Maintain strong and effective employee, union, manager and administrative relationships.
* Maintain and update employee grievance, investigation and complaint files as well as documentation related to ongoing employee/employer relations issues.
* Updates and maintains electronic data systems related to discipline, grievance, investigations, complaints, mediations, and arbitrations; runs queries and other reports as required.
* Coordinates training on performance management systems and performance management issues; prepares training materials, resources, and guides on effective performance management practices and procedures.
* Researches, schedules, and prepares Board items and contracts for professional experts and consultants.
* Assists administrator with discipline and grievance processes and hearings, including but not limited to: scheduling, preparing communications, compiling records and evidence, and timely filing and mailing of required documentation.
* Analyzes and reviews policies and procedures for reference in employee matters.
* Reviews performance evaluations and improvement plans to provide feedback and suggestions to improve performance issues, ensure appropriate application of evaluation methods and tools as well as contract compliance.
* Creates statistical reports on employee retention, attrition, promotion, and other metrics for management review.
* Mediates discussions between supervisors, employees, and employee representatives regarding a variety of subjects.
* Assist the Director, Human Resources (Orange Coast College) with employee relations training such as conflict resolution, contract compliance and performance management.
* Conduct exit interviews of employees upon separation from the District.
* Effectively utilizes specialized software programs in the production of management information and reports.
* Coordinates and participates in Human Resource or other meetings that involve a range of issues as needed and/or assigned for the purpose of developing recommendations and/or supporting Human Resource policies and procedures.
* Provides guidance and training to supervisors on human resources policies, procedures, FMLA, ADA, FLSA, contracts, and conflict resolution.
* Prepares informal and formal discipline documents and notices.
* Presents and coordinates training materials and events on employee/employer relations topics.
* Develops and maintains employee relations databases and tracking systems, analyzes data, and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports.
* Consults with employees and supervisors on employee/employer related issues.
* Develops and implements effective processes and workflow to ensure appropriate management of employee/employer relations cases.
* Maintains appropriate records related to internal complaints and investigation in accordance with policies, procedures, and law.
* Provides employee and management coaching and counseling using appropriate objectivity and professionalism in working through sensitive issues.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.