Provides specialized technical and logistics support toward the development of the schedule of classes and other District publications. Receives, edits, and maintains data for class information such as scheduled hours, credit hours, and class and curriculum descriptions, to facilitate publishing of the schedule of classes and support on-line student registration.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Instructional Scheduling Technician is a specialized technical position that plans, sequences, sets timelines, and follows up with the logistics that produce optimal course scheduling and room assignments. Using computer aided schedule optimizing and course description applications, the Technician facilitates the process of planning and creating schedules encompassing multiple academic and fiscal years.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Oversees and coordinates development of the class and room schedule. Utilizing a computer-aided system for class scheduling, enters class schedule, description, credit, and prerequisite information. Computes an optimal schedule and room assignments to minimize conflicts with other courses and enhance registration.
* Collects pertinent schedule and session date information to support work plans used for production of the course schedule that considers and includes the processes and time lines for receiving and inputting class and curriculum descriptions, credit hours, scheduling information, and locating of classrooms.
* Distributes preliminary class schedules and course descriptions to academic divisions for review and update. Verifies information and proposals for rooms and times.
* Provides technical assistance to academic divisions for resolving room and time conflicts, room change requests, taking into consideration related classes and attendance.
* Works with academic administrators to ensure classes are set up correctly with appropriate information and links to the registration processes.
* Proofreads information submitted for the schedule and directory by academic divisions and committees to verify accuracy of descriptions, links, majors, credit hours, schedule, and room. Edits directory information such as course sections, course codes, descriptions, prerequisites, and levels.
* Serves as a liaison between other college departments for updates to the schedule development and course information programs, curriculum and instruction information, and accuracy of class schedule information included in brochures and publications.
* Compiles and analyze data pertinent to class schedule development and publication; prepare data for transfer into automated load-sheet database, classroom/instructional facility utilization, class activity, and other areas as required.
* Coordinates publication and maintenance of the on-line class schedule information on web portals, including design, layout, and maintenance of current data. Sets up links from the class schedule and catalog to other college web pages.
* Facilitates continual review and maintenance of course information listed in the class schedule.
* Develops procedures, best practices, and timelines to ensure that courses, content, schedules and related information are accurate and up-to-date.
* Serve as liaison to/from this office and other District and campus divisions to support routine reports, data gathering, data input, upgrading and evaluating computer programs.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.