Plans, organizes, and facilitates the activities, information, and services in connection with developing, adjusting, and maintaining the District's budget and internal controls. Consults with departments, campuses, and programs for allocation of budgets for general and special funds and related accounting operations, which includes monitoring of budget adjustments and comparative performance reporting.
Distinguishing Career Features
The District Budget and Grants Manager facilitates strategic budget development processes to arrive at the District's tentative and adopted budgets and provide subject matter leadership and control over the daily budget operations. The Manager applies complex analytical and statistical methodologies in the development of accurate internal budgetary controls, policies and procedures and timely financial reports for management's use in monitoring of spending and available funding in their departments. The Manager requires the ability to facilitate all phases of the budget development process, convert and activate approved budgets for day-to-day accounting transactions and adjustments, oversee special funding, and monitor actual expenditures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans and organizes the budget development process by conveying schedules, supplying information to executives and other management involved in the process, managing the flow of information, and preparing budget documents for executive review and Board action.
* Develops grant and other special fund budgets. Researches and reviews proposed grants to determine allowable expenses include those for overhead and administration. Approves budgets for submittal to funding agencies. Oversees and constructs charts of accounts and assignment of location numbers.
* Prepares budget and financial and financial performance reports. Runs complex comparative analysis of actual-to-budget. Identifies revenue and expense variances, errors to be corrected, and works with departments to research and prepare explanations.
* Prepares time-sensitive compliance and performance reports which are required for budget advisory committees and external oversight agencies.
* Serves as resource to the Director of Financial Services, Controller, and campus-based financial managers for preparing and guiding budget development reviews, resolving budgeting and accounting issues, analyzing data such as income and expense patterns, and preparing forecasts.
* Works within intermediate and long range parameters for revenue resources to project expenditures, including those that bear uncertainty such as labor and staffing, taxes, utilities, insurances, savings opportunities, and unanticipated expenditures.
* Develops decision support tools in spreadsheet formats for maintaining funds and performing "what-if" calculations. Develops cost models and otherwise assists management with their ability to monitor accounts, programs, projects, and commitments.
* Performs financial and budgetary analysis while preparing of budget performance, budget projection, and salary tracking reports. Develops statistical models to forecast expenditures
* Supervises maintenance of the District's position control system, including records for all authorized and funded positions in District. Imports accounting and payroll data and anticipated or contracted changes into worksheets to facilitate executive and department reviews. Prepares journal entries and posts payroll expenses into the financial system.
* Authorizes budget transfers for income and expenses. Tracks income, accounts receivable, purchase orders, contracts, and expenses to assure proper accounting and handling during fiscal year changes.
* Participates in year-end closing procedures. Works with departments to reconcile and close accounts and determine beginning fund balances carried over into new fiscal years.
* Provides assistance to external auditors. Oversees and assembles information from checklists and other auditor requests. Prepares internal control checklists for the department and orients other departments to requests. Prepares adjustments and corrective measures suggested by auditors such as journal entries to income, expense, and fixed assets.
* Establishes standards and conducts performance appraisals of assigned staff. Identifies areas and action plans for skill development.
* Maintains up-to-date knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities and reviews and analyzes new legislation affecting the budgets and reporting.
* Performs other related duties as required to accomplish the objectives of the position.