Posting Closing Date:
May 4, 2019
DISTINGUISHING FEATURED OF THE CLASS:
The work involves maintaining Payroll/HR records, reports, employee roster cards, and processing of Payroll/HR documents. This is a specialized clerical position, ensuring the proper maintenance of employee Payroll/HR records and assisting others in proper Payroll/HR documentation and process procedures. Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Payroll Systems Supervisor, with leeway for independent judgement in carrying out assignments. Performs related duties as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Acts as an information clerk where general knowledge of Payroll/HR questions is needed
- May apply collective bargaining agreement provisions related to Payroll/HR matters
- Maintains and prepares Payroll/HR records
- Uses the Payroll/HR computerized system to input data to produce advices and checks, compile/collect/disseminate data for reports, and maintain employee records.
- Verifies steps, increments and salary for new hire employees
- Reviews and implements Direct Deposit forms for employees
- Reviews and implements new and changed NYS and Federal tax forms for employees
- Reviews and implements increments, and rank advancement for employees
- Reviews and implements salary changes/raises/incentives for all employees
- Reviews, implements and maintains all leave banks, including FMLA and PT banks
- Reviews and implements wage verifications for employees
- Reviews and implements additional duties, extended hour, and overtime forms
- Assists in preparing manual checks for processing
- Assists in preparing regular and periodic local, state and federal reports for Payroll/HR
- Assists with tracking FMLA and PT leaves
- Assists with checking all deductions (health, dental, annuities, flex, and etc.) , while processing payroll
- Assists with audits of Payroll/HR
- Assists with implementing and processing all levies, child support orders and garnishment
- Assists the Payroll System Supervisor with running the payroll process, and special projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the Payroll/HR Systems; extensive knowledge of ECC bargaining unit agreements and all policies related to payroll and HR; knowledge of employee benefits, levies, taxes and processes; thorough knowledge of business methods and terminology, accounting and software; ability to prepare detailed reports and to present data effectively; ability to work with others; sound professional judgment; initiative and resourcefulness; high degree of accuracy; ability to understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions; physically capable of performing the essentials functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Graduation from a high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and three (3) years of satisfactory office experience, including two (2) years of responsible Payroll/HR experience
This position will be filled provisionally. The successful candidate must take the next available CSEA Civil Service Exam and be reachable.
2 positions are available
Our mission to offer quality education includes exposing our students to a diverse range of cultures, experiences and expertise. At SUNY Erie Community College, we value diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Contact Human Resources at (716) 851-1840 with any questions.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
SUNY Erie Community College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or in the administration of any of its policies and programs on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran status, criminal conviction, or any other characteristics protected by law. This applies to all students, applicants or other members of the College community (including, but not limited to, vendors and visitors). Grievance procedures are available to interested persons by contacting the Civil Rights Compliance Officer listed below. Retaliation against a person who files a complaint, serves as a witness, or assists or participates in the investigation of a complaint in any manner is strictly prohibited.
The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College’s non-discrimination policies:
Civil Rights Compliance Officer
Tracy Archie, Chief Diversity Officer
Office of Equity and Diversity
City Campus, Room 174, 121 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, please contact:
New York Office
United States Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights, 32 Old Slip 26th Floor,
New York, N.Y., 10005-25010;
Tel (646) 428-3800; Email: mailto:OCR.NewYork@ed.govOCR.NewYork@ed.gov.