Under general supervision, the Writing Center Graduate Tutor provides instructional assistance and support tasks related to the Writing Center in accordance with assignments and directions from the Writing Coordinator, a course instructor or other academic personnel; provides technical assistance to students, faculty, and staff in the use of material that supports all areas of instruction; monitors and reports student progress; maintains the hardware and software for the Writing Center programs on the network.
This is a very narrow classification in the instructional assistance area. Positions assigned to the class of Writing Center Graduate Tutor perform duties to assist and support a classroom instructor or other academic personnel. Specific tasks may vary depending upon the needs of the students and their classroom assignments.
Positions in this class are expected to be in the Writing Center. Incumbents in the class of WCGT are expected to have completed a minimum of four years of college with a major in English or Literature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Assist students with the assignments related to writing.
* Assist in the preparation of activities related to the student writing assignments.
* Provide basic writing guidance in a variety of general subject areas.
* Recommend appropriate instructional materials and technology to be used by students; develop, modify, and test instructional material to ensure activities are current, accurate, and relevant in accordance with instructor's curriculum guidelines.
* Review educational material and provide recommendations as needed to enhance instruction.
* Provide assistance to students regarding various aspects of Writing Center courses.
* Respond to student questions and provide information regarding resources available to students about writing.
* Assist instructors in preparation of manuals, handouts, and training/teaching materials.
* Ensure compliance with policies, procedures, and priorities related to use of the Writing Center material.
* Maintain accurate records.
* Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.